Daylight savings time begins in a few weeks, and I am looking forward to it as it will finally allow me to have some outdoor time on the bike. I've been stuck on the trainer nearly all winter. And that has been inconsistent.
Despite not having the time on the trainer that I wanted I'm still in a base training pattern anyway. This should help prevent burnout in late summer. That is especially important if I am able to get the funding necessary to make my attempt in August.
I have also hit the restart button on my setup and fit, as I was unable to get into a position and fit that was comfortable. I know I have said it before, but this time I really do believe I am closer than I have been in a long time. I looked at multiple resources and calculators for proper bike fit. After taking various measurements and trying a couple of different combinations, I've got my saddle in a new place that already seems to be paying dividends.
I also addressed some of my bio-mechanical issues by raising the arch support for my right foot and adding a wedge under the cleat to roll my foot outward. I also discovered that my leg length inequality that I've suspected is enough to be measured by hand, and mostly occurs in my right lower leg. So with a little trial and error, and a few shims on the left cleat, I've got my cleats adjusted to compensate for the difference.
Between getting my saddle in the right place and my feet properly aligned, I think I've about gotten it right. I could have paid for a professional fit but I knew that it would be more valuable to learn it and figure it out on my own. Hopefully, I've done enough to alleviate the hip pain that bothered me all of last year and have myself in an efficient and still power-generating position.
My last trainer ride indicates that my fit is almost perfect and my fitness is in good shape. Eventually I'll need some speed work. But I think that with the impending increase in daylight and corresponding ability to ride outdoors, I am where I need to be to see results this year.