Friday, October 19, 2012

Haven't had much to report of late. Just riding when able, and that seems to be in great decline. Which is unfortunate, because I was finally hitting a point where I was noticing some gains. Might be a good time to shut it down for a few weeks though. Possibly focus on running instead. More so to prevent mental burnout than physical. I was able to spend a little time working on the cyclocross dismount/remount equation. Having never done it before nor having had to do it before it seems foreign and intimidating. But after about 20 minutes of riding around in a field and doing it, it became quite comfortable.

On the operational side of things, I've not had much luck finding sponsors as yet, and have refined the target list as a result. My original plan was to go for the big fish, hoping I could convince them to come on board through the novelty of the project and the 'charity' aspect of my being a diabetic. I'm starting to come around to targeting a lot of smaller sponsors as opposed to a few big ones.

More importantly, for now at least, I've also reached out to a few additional velodromes in an attempt to open ma dialogue with them. While my preferred first choice is still to make the ride at the Major Taylor Velodrome, I've realized that it would not hurt to have options in this regard as well. This way, theoretically, I will have options with scheduling and the scale of the event. I am hoping to be able to build an entire day of events around the ride to draw a crowd of more than just friends and family, thus allowing increased exposure and engagement for my sponsors. But I recognize that my first choice may be unable or unwilling to endorse such an approach. Additionally, I feel this make give me a bargaining chip in terms of my total costs, as I will have to buy track time. Being able to play two or three different venues against each other should not only benefit me in my attempt, but should also ensure that I get the full backing and support that I will need from that velodrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment